My life has changed, is changing, and will continue to change because at the beginning of this year I began to eating vegan "living" food.

"Living" food? Yes, living, because saying I eat raw food just doesn't paint the right picture. The word raw when I first heard it was flat to me, one dimensional. To be honest it sounded limiting and boring. So I'm thrilled to say that vegan, raw, organic, living food is the most amazing food you could ever dream of nourishing your body with.

Welcome to my journey…

______________________________________________

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Finding a substitute for bread

When I started making raw food dishes I started with the amazing recipies found in Cafe Gratitude's first recipe book, "I am Greatful: Recipes and Lifestyle of Cafe Gratitude".

Because this is where I started I find this recipe book to be my favorite. The recipes have a comfort all there own as I can not separate them from the joy I felt discovering such wonderfully delicious ways to prepare raw food.

My biggest transition in moving towards raw food was moving away from all wheat products and most especially breads. So one of the recipes I was most interested in trying was the "I am original" Onion Bread recipe. With onions piling up from my weekly delivered farm fresh organic produce I ventured a try.

On my first attempt the smell of onions coming from my dehydrator was impressive, and overwhelming to say the least. The thin bread was good and held promise but the onion needed taming for sure. I put aside the recipe for a while and continued with the others enjoying the new flavors I was experiencing in each.

Soon, however, the onions began to pile up again on my counter. Onions, most certainly, are not a food that can be readily eaten raw, at least they are not something I enjoy eating raw even in classic greek salad style. But by this point I was armed with Cherie Soria's book, "The Raw Food Revolution Diet: Feast, Lose Weight, Gain Energy, Feel Younger!" and inspiration was on my side.

What resulted is what I have fondly called, "My Perfect Onion Bread". To give credit where credit is due the base recipe comes from "I am original" Onion Bread (pg 61 ~ I Am Grateful), and the culinary trick to working with onions came from "Crispy Sweet Onions" (pg 134 ~ The Raw Food Revolution Diet). Now with a way to tame the onions and a base combination I just doubled the ground flax and sunflower meal to balance the more moist onions and for me the result is perfect!!

So if you are looking for a nice substitute for bread I hope you'll enjoy "My Perfect Onion Bread".

0 Enjoy gourmet food with me:

Raw Is Real Gourmet   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP